Home Restoration Steps after a Disaster
You’ve returned home after a disaster and you know your home needs work. What steps do you take and in what order? Here is the sequence you should follow when restoring:
- Protect yourself. This is essential. Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and appropriate clothing.
- Assess the damage and hazards. Before you enter the house, look at the structure and assess potential safety and health risks. If necessary, have the home inspected by a professional before entering.
- Create a work plan. Determine tasks and the supplies you will need. If professionals (electricians, plumbers, etc.) are needed, take note. List what supplies and tools you will need. Determine how you will dispose of debris.
- Clean out and tear out damage. Make certain you use work safe practices as you clean up. This includes pumping out water, shoveling out mud and debris, removing building materials, etc.
- Clean and decontaminate items. Protecting people is essential. If it cannot be thoroughly and properly cleaned, it may need to be discarded.
- Restore and improve. As you begin to rebuild, consider rebuilding with health, safety, durability, and efficiency in mind.
Need to know how to rebuild healthy, consult Rebuild Healthy Homes: Guide to Post-disaster Restoration for a Safe and Healthy Home.
Watch our “After a Flood” video playlist on YouTube for more information.